Benefits of House Warding: Shielding the home can provide many benefits to a magical practitioner. Warding can filter out psychic background “noise” or ambient energy originating outside the home. It can provide an atmosphere of comforting energy within the home, allowing a person to fully recharge and relax. It can also protect the residents of a home from negative energies, or even the rare deliberate magical attack. For all of these reasons, establishing effective wards for one’s home seems like good practice for those involved with the magical arts.
Establishing these protective shields amounts to little more than energy control. Warding allows for energy to be kept out of the home, but also for energy to be kept in the home. Some wards may block certain energies while permitting others to pass through; others may redirect or even transmute energy according to the desires of the occupant. In this sense, wards act like any other element of the structure and decor of the home, to help maintain a safe and comfortable atmosphere.
Wards can be anchored to an object that can be taken to a new home in the event that the occupant moves, especially if this occurs frequently, like it would for college students. Alternatively, they can be permanently embedded into the structure as an architectural element. They can also be used to establish a perimeter, such as by inscribing a protective sigil along the outer walls of the house, or by etching the same protective sigil on four tiles and placing them at the corners of the property.
Benefits of Personal Talismans: Talismans are empowered objects created and used to amplify personal power. Whether used to focus energy on protection from harm, drawing luck, attracting love, attaining wealth or for other purposes, a talisman is created with a specific vision in mind. When the item is worn, it not only allows the user to harness the power they have imbued the talisman with, but also serves as a focal point to renew the energetic focus inherent within the charged talisman.
As you go about your day, touch the item, feel it moving about, and focus on it, allowing the magical intent of the talisman to be reinforced, causing the effects to become stronger over time and with repeated use. This helps to access the law of attraction; when one focuses positively on a given intent, that energy can magnetize that vision into being. It is important to note, however, that a great deal of the power of the talisman is subconscious. Fretting over results will work against your wishes, trust in your magic and allow our abundant universe to take care of you.
Protective sigils are created through a variety of methods, and result in a unique symbol or character, charged with specific intent by the creator and user. These objects have been created with specific purpose in mind, and have been cleansed and consecrated to be charged with your energy and perform this function. To activate the ward or talisman, you will need to perform the three ‘C’s – cleansing, consecrating and charging your object – in a way that is meaningful to you and your purposes. Below are suggestions for how to do this:
Cleansing: To cleanse an object you are not cleaning it on a physical level, you are ‘cleansing’ it on a spiritual level, on an energy level. Cleansing disassociates items with their past vibrations. You want to wipe the vibrational slate clean to attune it with your own energies, or those conducive to your goal.
There are several ways to cleanse an object:
- Burn a cleansing incense like sage, and run the object through the smoke.
- Bury it in the earth for a while, or in a bowl of salt/dirt/cornmeal.
- Soak it in salt water, or sprinkle/spray it.
- Hold it for a while under running water.
- Wave it over a candle flame, or actually put it into the fire.
Consecrating: Consecrating an object means to render it sacred through some act of blessing. You can consecrate anything—you can consecrate your jewelry, your tools, even the ground on which you live, but do remember this: once consecrated, the item is sacred, and should be treated as such.
Some ways to consecrate an item include:
- Simply saying a prayer over it, dedicating the use of the object to it’s intended purpose.
- If you keep oils that are cleansed, charged and consecrated, you can anoint an object with those oils and blessing symbols.
- If you work a lot with the four elements you may wish to consecrate it by Air, Earth, Fire and Water in ritual: run it through incense smoke, sprinkle some salt on it, pass it over a fire flame and sprinkle some water on it.
Charging: Charging something is empowering it with energy. You might just imbue it with positive energy, or charge it so its energies are aligned with a specific purpose. Charging requires raising a bit of energy and then directing it into the object. Once again, the method you choose can largely depend on your preferences and on the item you’re charging.
There are many ways to charge an object:
- Dance, chant, meditate, etc. to raise power then pour that energy in to the object.
- Perform a small ritual to raise energy and intent to invest in the sigil.
- Perform a visualization, transferring your energy and intent to the ward or talisman, and releasing it to perform it’s function.
- Create something entirely your own, that accomplishes this aim in the best way for you!